Pages

15 January 2010

Soft and Chewy Chocolate Drops

As I sit here writing this post I am partaking in the last of these astonishing cookies. What started as an attempt to use up a few pantry items before their use by date resulted in possibly the best cookie tested thus far. Both soft and chewy as their name implies, these cookies are nothing shy of sinful. The batch made a little more than four dozen and they are-hold on a minute-all gone just over 24 hours later which means that six of us were eating these at a rate of two per hour. Try these little bits of heavenly goodness-you won't be sorry. However, you may have to extend your next workout session because hedonism seldom entails low fat.
These cookies are very simple with only eight ingredients but they are a tad bit time consuming as the cookie dough should be refrigerated for approximately one hour between mixing and baking to make the dough more workable.
The cookie starts with butter (3/4 cup) and 4 ounces (squares) of Baker's Unsweetened baking chocolate. I have a double boiler but the microwave is so much easier and makes these cookies a one bowl (two if you count the glaze) recipe. Also, the double boiler takes longer and is no fun to clean. I microwaved the butter and chocolate for two minutes to get the better completely melted. I love recipes that call for melting butter, I hate having to soften butter, I always feel like I don't do it exactly right.
So after the butter was melted I mixed them for about three minutes to get the chocolate to melt entirely. Then I added 2 cups of sugar, 3 eggs and 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
Then I added the 2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour and covered the cookie dough with plastic wrap and stuck it in the fridge for almost an hour (I get inpatient and want to move on).
I made slightly bigger cookies than the recipe called for, but if I'd made more cookies that would have changed nothing but the rate at which they disappeared.
While I was baking the cookies I mixed one frozen tub of Cool Whip and 6 ounces of Baker's semisweet chocolate together and put them in the microwave for about 1:45, stopping to mix the chocolate after a little over a minute.
When the glaze was completely smooth I let it sit for about twenty minutes. I then put it in a disposable icing bag and went to work on my little chocolate cookies. The recipe told you to wait until the glaze was set and I took that as a recommendation only and took to eating them right away, however the ones I had today (about a dozen) were much better so I would recommend that you let the glaze completely set before eating all of these cookies.

The kids loved these, the husband loved these, my brother and his girlfriend loved them. I was going to take them to a playgroup but got too greedy and ate them all up before the playgroup even had a chance. Maybe I will make another batch...but really that just spells trouble.

At least for my waistline.


Soft and Chewy Chocolate Drops


Cookies
4 squares BAKER'S Unsweetened Chocolate
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2-1/2 cups flour


Glaze
1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping (Do not thaw.)
6 squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate


COOKIES:

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Microwave unsweetened chocolate and butter in large microwaveable bowl on HIGH 2 min. or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Add sugar; mix well. Blend in eggs and vanilla. Add flour; mix well. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle. Roll dough into 1-inch balls; place, 2 inches apart, on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake approximately 7-8 min. or just until set. (Do not overbake.) Let stand on baking sheet 1 min.; transfer to wire racks. Cool completely.


GLAZE:

PLACE frozen whipped topping and semi-sweet chocolate in microwaveable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1-1/2 min. or until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is shiny and smooth, stirring after 1 min. Let stand 15 min. to thicken. Spread over cookies. Let stand until glaze is set.

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails