Pages

01 January 2010

Banana Bread Cookie

For Christmas this year I received several cookbooks, mostly written by Alton Brown, but a few others including "The Cookie Bible". With over 400 cookie recipes in it I began to wonder who really makes all of these cookies? Thing is though I've met several cookies I didn't particularly care for, I've never met a cookie I wouldn't at least try. I decided then and there that I was going to start giving more cookie recipes a shot, as I can think of only a handful of things better than a cookie (Cherry Coke, Powdered Donuts, Waterstone Hummus).

I was going to wait for the New Year, and a cleaner house, to begin my cookie experimenting when I happened upon these, glaring at me on the kitchen counter.

Any other day I would have thrown together a simple Banana Bread but two things were stopping me. First, I seem to fail whenever I attempt Banana Bread. I get most quick breads like Zucchini and Pumpkin but I have never found that perfect Banana bread recipe that never fails. My nana bread is always just so-so. Secondly, I had just the day before been thinking about my love of cookies and my new willingness to try more recipes.

Without any more thought I decided to attempt a banana recipe without cookbooks or prior experience. The result? A most delectable treat.
These cookies have a very surprising resemblance to Banana Bread so to shake things up a bit and to interest the kids in them, I topped them, quite heavily I should add, with confectioners sugar.


It worked, the kids each ate three and were asking for more, but being only a few hours before dinner I cut them off.
Today the cookies are a tad bit soft, not quite soggy but I think in the future I will freeze whatever won't be eaten right away.





Banana Bread Cookie

Ingredients:
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup salted butter
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 bananas, peeled and mashed
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour (or all purpose)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup Walnuts
Directions:
1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease cookie sheets with cooking spray.
2.) In medium bowl cream shortening, butter and sugars. Add eggs one at a time, vanilla and bananas.
3.) Combine flours, baking soda, and salt. Blead with creamed mixture. Add walnuts.
4.) Drop by rounded tablespoons on cookie sheets. Bake in preheated oven for 9 1/2-11 minutes or until lightly browned.
Makes 4 dozen cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails