Pages

05 January 2010

Nut and Grain Pancakes

I know this is a cookie blog but occasionally I want to try something new and it isn't going to fall into the cookie or bar genre but I am still going to want to share. Especially when that something new is absolutely delicious.

I don't do pancakes...usually. I am a waffle person. I can do waffles and I have them down to a science. But pancakes seem to baffle me. I am always making them too runny or too thick. They are either too done or runny or soft in the middle which makes me want to gag just a little. So I let my husband do pancakes and I do waffles.

That was until today. A few weeks ago after a 5k our family went to iHop and I choose pancakes when I usually go French Toast. The pancakes were Nut and Grain pancakes and they were so nutty and just wonderful. They had me wanting to go back to IHOP. Unfortunately, the service at the local IHOP is so bad that the pancakes weren't good enough to actually bring us back. But they did have me searching the internet for a recipe I could attempt here at home. I am proud to say that I found a few recipes I melded together and tried out this morning. They were possibly better than the IHOP because I got to eat them in my snowflake pajama pants and not even have to worry about how much to tip the waitress who we haven't seen since we ordered. I wasn't planning on posting them so I didn't take any photos, so you'll just have to take my word for it...they were pretty awesome.

So for tomorrow morning...

Nutty Pancakes.

3/4 cup Quaker oats (ground in food processor)
3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup fat free buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
6 tablespoons of ground walnuts and pecans

1. Heat griddle to medium high heat.
2. Combine ground oats, flour, soda, powder and salt.
3. In separate bowl combine buttermilk, oil, egg, cinnamon, vanilla, and sugar. Add flour mixture and nuts.
4. Pour 1/4 cup mix onto griddle and heat through on both sides.
5. Enjoy.

This made about 12 pancakes for me but depending on the size it could make more or less.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails