Pages

28 January 2010

Sock It to Me Cake

You may have heard of a Sock It to Me Cake, until this week I had not. Turns out it's a pretty popular cake. I was looking for a pecan cake to make in my bundt pan and this is what I kept finding. So alas, I decided to use my only yellow cake mix in the pantry, make a few alterations to the recipe and give it a try.

The toasting and chopping of the pecans were the worst thing about this cake. I personally hate toasting nuts. All too often I burn my nuts and have to start over and nuts are not cheap. So if I'm not burning my nuts I am under-cooking my nuts where the whole process is probably pointless. And I hate chopping nuts. I buy my nuts in bulk at Sam's because I like to save money, but chopping nuts causes a little anxiety attack to begin because my OCD mind gets frustrated with the vast difference in my nut pieces. But I made this cake even with the toasting and the chopping. The cake was good but I think in the future I would chop my pecans even smaller and maybe skip the whole toasting process altogether.

Sock It To Me Cake

Ingredients

1 package yellow cake mix
1 cup light sour cream
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup water
2 eggs
1/2 cup eggbeaters
1 cup toasted and chopped pecans
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons milk

Directions

1.) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2.) Grease bundt pan. Toast pecans for 8 minutes at 350 degrees. Chop pecans.
3.) Blend cake mix, sour cream, applesauce, sugar, water, eggs, and eggbeaters. Beat on high 2 minutes. Pour 2/3 batter into greased bundt pan.
4.) Combine pecans, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Sprinkle oven batter. Spread remaining batter evenly over sugar mixture.
5.) Bake 45-55 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack 25 minutes.
6.) Mix confectioners sugar and milk. Remove cake from bundt pan and drizzle with glaze.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails