Pages

27 February 2010

Fresh Tomato Cream Sauce

tomatocream

I am very excited about this recipe.  It is the result of a few extra tomatoes and a bit of rummaging through the pantry, and it is delicious.

You see last week I was at the local Community Market when I happened across a couple selling big and quite beautiful tomatoes.  I, being an avid tomato fan, avariciously bought up six of the finest ones they possessed. 

I ate two of the tomatoes as slices on my daily BLT’s, another I shared with the kids as an afternoon snack, I used one to stuff peppers (recipe to follow soon), leaving two tomatoes. 

I had been perusing Vodka Sauce recipes on the Internet lately but having no Vodka in the house, was left only reading the recipes.  On a whim, though, I decided to make a sauce that would channel a good Vodka sauce sans the Vodka and also use up the last of my tomatoes. 

With a little of this and a little of that, a sauce came together quite quickly and was enjoyed over a bed of ziti pasta. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Fresh Tomato Cream Sauce

tomatocream1

Ingredients

2 large tomatoes

1 tbsp garlic

1/2 green pepper

1/2 small onion

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1 tbsp tomato paste

1 tbsp basil

1 tsp sugar

1/4 tsp oregeno

1/8 tsp black pepper

1/4 tsp salt

1/8 tsp nutmeg

1/2 cup heavy cream

1 tbsp butter

parmesan cheese

Directions

  1. In a food processor combine tomatoes, garlic, green pepper and onions and pulse two or three times.  You could also hand chop each if desired.  In a large sauté pan, combine olive oil, chopped/pulsed vegetables, paste, sugar and herbs.  Simmer for 20 minutes.  Remove from heat and add cream and butter.  Serve over choice of pasta and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails