Pages

04 February 2010

Washboard Cookies

My hair is falling out. I know it may just be the result of having a baby five months ago and now my hormones are shifting back and my hair, which has been thick and full forever, is now thinning terribly. Or at least that's what I want to believe. But I went and posted about my hair loss fears on my facebook page and then all sorts of people replied with what they think might be causing it. Now I'm worried about my testosterone levels, my thyroid, my protein intake and whether or not I need to start wig shopping. All of this worrying is just making my hair fall out in larger clumps and I can think of pretty much nothing but going bald.

To fight these consuming thoughts I have been baking and cooking round the clock this week. From cornbread to cake, I have been trying and experimenting with all sorts of recipes with an average of three new ones a day. Unfortunately, several of them have been true bummers and a true waste of ingredients and effort. Others have been a nice surprise. I was really wanting to make a coconut cookie and came across Coconut Washboard cookies. I thought I had found a decent recipe to try on Allrecipes.com when I realized halfway into setting out the ingredients I had gone and chosen a recipe that called for absolutely no coconut. I'm telling you, the focus on my hair loss has me wondering if I should be doing anything that requires thought or concentration. Because I had already measured out the dark brown sugar and because there was such a short list of ingredients, I went forward with these cookies that are just simply Washboard Cookies. Not Coconut Washboard Cookies. Maybe another day.

These cookies were so simple and put simply, rather good. Not the most amazing cookie but they turned out soft and chewy and are a good cookie to freeze (I have already frozen and defrosted some).

All you need is a half hour and a short list of ingredients which makes this a perfect choice when you want a cookie without a lot of hassle or a trip to the grocery store.

Washboard Cookies

borrowed directly from Allrecipes.com

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon hot water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • sugar for dusting


Directions
In a mixing bowl, cream butter, brown sugar and egg. Stir together baking soda, water and vanilla; add to creamed mixture. Add flour and mix well. Shape into walnut-sized balls. Place on greased baking sheets; flatten with a fork that has been dipped in water. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 325 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool on waxed paper.

Yields 2 dozen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails