Pages

03 February 2010

Cinnamon Sugar Muffins

012 For years I have eaten Cinnamon Toast for breakfast and besides a Powdered Donut I’m not sure there is anything quicker to put together for breakfast. Before my last pregnancy I was eating four slices of Cinnamon Toast every morning for breakfast. I just love it.

Now I am trying to be a little healthier, I now enjoy one Cinnamon English Muffin on occasion. However, this week it’s all about muffins so I thought what the heck, why not attempt a muffin that channels one of my favorite things to have for breakfast?

006

I did in fact find several recipes, surprisingly enough, for cinnamon toast muffins. I combined two of them, making a few changes to make them a little more flavorful and hopefully a tad bit healthier. I think the result was rather successful and they were a big-BIG-hit with my taste testers, my two year old twins.




010


But then again, who can resist anything dipped in butter and rolled around in cinnamon and sugar?








Cinnamon sugar muffins

Ingredients:

(for muffins)

1 cup all purpose flour

3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 cup buttermilk (fat free)
1/3 cup applesauce
1 egg
2/3 cup white sugar
1 tbsp maple syrup

(for topping)

1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup white sugar
4 tsp cinnamon

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin pan or line with paper liners.
  2. In medium bowl, sift together flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; set aside. In a separate bowl combine buttermilk, applesauce, egg, sugar and maple syrup. Add dry mixture until combined being careful not to overmix.
  3. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full and bake for 18-20 minutes. While muffins are baking melt butter in microwave or on stovetop over medium-low heat. Set aside to cool in a dish suitable for dipping muffin tops in. Mix cinnamon and sugar.
  4. When muffins are done immediately remove from muffin pan and dip in melted butter. Roll muffin tops in cinnamon sugar topping and enjoy!

020

I enjoyed them so much that I dipped half eaten ones in the leftover cinnamon sugar. I might have a problem.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails